R&D S&E Microwave and Sensor Engineer (5465472)
- Job Title
- R&D S&E Microwave and Sensor Engineer (5465472)
- Job ID
- Albuquerque, NM 87047
- Other Location
Longenecker & Associates (L&A) seeks a motivated R&D S&E Microwave and Sensor Engineer to contribute to our mission supporting our work at a national laboratory in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
L&A is a woman-owned small business and trusted partner enabling critical missions across the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) complex for more than 30 years. We contribute to DOE’s nuclear security and environmental remediation enterprise by providing the highest-caliber staff and experts.
L&A is unconditionally committed to mission success and the well-being of employees, the nation and the environment. Our team members are passionate about building a healthier environment for generations to come. We are a community that interfaces and effectively communicates with all levels of management and government. If you have a passion for excellence, seek opportunities to engage in mission critical work, and consistently exceed expectations, apply now to join our professional family.
The RF Microsystems department (5211) is seeking a mid-career R&D Microwave and Sensor Engineer to design, fabrication, test, qualification and delivery of custom designed microwave components. These components enable military communication systems, SAR imaging and doppler radar, and tagging tracking and locating hardware. Our team is looking for a driven RF engineer capable of fundamental electromagnetic modeling, transistor level circuit simulation, and distributed element microwave PCB design. It is also important to understand electronic die characterization, RF test equipment, working knowledge of solder assembly, PCB development and fabrication.
The main duties include, but are not limited to:
- Use circuit modeling tools to design analog or RF integrated circuit components for transceivers including analog, mixed-signal, and RF components,
- Review/Write specifications for radar component design,
- Specify fabrication steps to build custom designed printed circuit boards to test integrated circuit components,
- Troubleshoot analog or RF circuits in a innovative electronics lab,
- Characterize custom designed RF components and modules over voltage, temperature, and environmental stresses,
- Contribute in developing new ideas and proposals for research activities for the department
- Use electronic equipment to measure slew rate, gain, stability, phase noise, jitter, s-parameters, power output, P1dB, PSat, noise figure and modu
- Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering or; Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering +4 years experience
- Radio frequency design experience,
- Electrical test and measure practices to protect sensitive devices and equipment to troubleshoot high frequency circuitry,
- Use of RF test equipment such as spectrum analyzers, vector network analyzers, pulsed signal generators, oscilloscopes, and precision power supplies,
- Ability to acquire and maintain a DOE Q clearance,
- Ability to work in a diverse work environment,
- Satisfactory results of a pre-employment screening, which includes a background check and drug screening.
- Ability to fulfill and promote L&A core values.
- Previous experience on DOE sites and programs,
- Knowledge of designing distributed element active microwave circuits such as detectors, receivers, and power amplifiers,
- Strong written and presentation skills to provide sponsors and vendors convincing evidence of quality designs,
- Ability to work independently and within a multi-disciplinary team of peers to meet specifications,
- Strong interpersonal skills which include teamwork, effective leadership, negotiation, delegation, and conflict resolution.
- Active DOE Q or DOD TS clearance
- Fabrication process for printed circuit boards,
- Die attaching, wire-bonding, and packaging,
- Advanced automated assembly processes for die and very small SMT components,
- Strong electrical test and measure skills at the module and die level.
- Developing complex microsystem solutions including analog, digital, RF, and other technologies,
- Modeling electromagnetic effects on and off die,
About the team:
The RF Microsystems department performs research, design, modeling, characterization, and qualification of RF microelectronics. We have a focus on efficient, high performance RF component design, electromagnetic modeling, as well as novel wireless sensor development. We have capabilities for developing prototypes to fully qualified hardware. We provide unique solutions to our customers in nuclear weapons, DoD, non-proliferation agencies, and subsystem departments (SAR, surety, & ISR). Our research interests include advanced RF sensors, low power communication devices, quantum computing electromagnetics, advanced radar component design, and next generation resonators for clocks unique to national security applications. Join this team to make a difference for our nation and work toward your individual goals.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Successful candidates will be able to perform the essential functions of the job with reasonable accommodation. This job posting reflects management’s assignment of essential functions and the descriptions listed do not restrict management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
As an L&A employee, you will be eligible for a competitive salary as well as a comprehensive benefits package including healthcare (medical and dental), 401K plan, and paid time off. We believe in investing in our employees beyond compensation and as an L&A employee, you will have access to in-house training, career pathing, mentoring, award programs, tuition reimbursement and much more.
L&A is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or status as a qualified individual with a disability or protected veteran.