Industrial Hygiene/Safety Specialist
- Job Title
- Industrial Hygiene/Safety Specialist
- Job ID
- Los Alamos, NM 87544
- Other Location
Longenecker & Associates (L&A) seeks a motivated Industrial Hygiene/Safety Specialist to contribute to our mission supporting our work in Los Alamos, NM
L&A is a woman-owned small business and trusted partner enabling critical missions across the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) complex for more than 30 years. We contribute to DOE’s nuclear security and environmental remediation enterprise by providing the highest-caliber staff and experts.
L&A is unconditionally committed to mission success and the well-being of employees, the nation and the environment. Our team members are passionate about building a healthier environment for generations to come. We are a community that interfaces and effectively communicates with all levels of management and government. If you have a passion for excellence, seek opportunities to engage in mission critical work, and consistently exceed expectations, apply now to join our professional family.
The industrial hygiene and safety (IHS) professional develops, recommends, and implements programs, policies, and procedures associated with the recognition, measurement, evaluation, and control of potential health and safety hazards. The IHS professional may provide daily industrial hygiene and safety support to programmatic or facility organizations or the IHS professional may manage and administer one or more institutional health and safety programs or services.
Fully functioning professional. A seasoned, experienced professional with a full understanding of specialized area plus working knowledge of other related fields. Resolves a wide range of issues in creative ways. This job is the fully qualified, career-oriented level position. Provides resolutions to a diverse range of complex problems where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Contributes to the development of organizational goals and objectives. Failure to obtain results or erroneous judgments/recommendations would normally have serious results and may require substantial expenditure of resources to correct and/or achieve project goals. Incumbent networks with senior internal and external personnel in own area of expertise. Requires limited responsibility for making routine contacts on general matters outside of the immediate organization. Works under limited direction; receives general instructions on new assignments. Work is evaluated upon completion to ensure objectives have been met. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. Determines approach to solutions, plans schedule and arranges own activities in accomplishing objectives.
Bachelors degree + 5 yrs related experience
• Industrial Hygiene Certification, Eligibility for Occupational Health and Safety Technologist, Construction Health and Safety Technologist, or Certified Hazardous Materials Manager preferred.
• Demonstrate a sound base of technical knowledge of safety and health regulations, standards, concepts, practices, principles, and techniques
• Experience conducting safety inspections in the industrial and field settings
• Experience in hazard analysis processes and related documentation
• Experience in reviewing and implementing OSHA standards and other health and safety documents
• Ability to identify and quantify potential hazards/exposures
• Experience determining applicable limits and implementing control schemes that protect the work force
• Prior Health and Safety experience at a DOE site is preferred.
• ABIH certified - Understands and applies advanced IH theories, concepts, and art, working knowledge of related disciplines.
• Certified Industrial Hygienist by the American Board of Industrial Hygienists in comprehensive practice or specialty area preferred and may decrease experience requirement by two years.
• Certification as Certified Safety Professional, Certified Ergonomist
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Successful candidates will be able to perform the essential functions of the job with reasonable accommodation. This job posting reflects management’s assignment of essential functions and the descriptions listed do not restrict management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
A 40-hour work week is scheduled. An active DOE clearance is required to perform assigned duties. Must be a US Citizen.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
As an L&A employee, you will be eligible for a competitive salary as well as a comprehensive benefits package including healthcare (medical and dental), 401K plan, and paid time off. We believe in investing in our employees beyond compensation and as an L&A employee, you will have access to in-house training, career pathing, mentoring, award programs, tuition reimbursement and much more.
L&A is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or status as a qualified individual with a disability or protected veteran.