Senior Project Controls Manager
- Job Title
- Senior Project Controls Manager
- Job ID
- Los Alamos, NM 84545
- Other Location
Longenecker & Associates (L&A) seeks a motivated Senior Project Controls Manager to contribute to our mission supporting our work at Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL).
L&A is a woman-owned small business and trusted partner enabling critical missions across the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) complex for more than 30 years. We contribute to DOE’s nuclear security and environmental remediation enterprise by providing the highest-caliber staff and experts.
L&A is unconditionally committed to mission success and the well-being of employees, the nation and the environment. Our team members are passionate about building a healthier environment for generations to come. We are a community that interfaces and effectively communicates with all levels of management and government. If you have a passion for excellence, seek opportunities to engage in mission critical work, and consistently exceed expectations, apply now to join our professional family.
The main duties include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for leading cost engineering, cost estimating, cost analysis/control, and planning/scheduling activities for a group, project, program, or for discipline/project/program/proposal estimating or staff planning activities that require a high degree of technical skill and experience,
- Directs cost estimating, analysis, and control activities and schedule development, maintenance, monitoring, impact identification, and recovery plan development activities,
- Directs the preparation and presentation of on-project estimates and cost forecasts,
- Supports project or program organizational and administrative activities,
- Provides generally non-routine cost engineering/planning and scheduling guidance,
- Identifies, analyzes, and provides innovative solutions to cost engineering and planning/scheduling problems,
- Requires an in-depth knowledge of the Laboratory,
- Negotiates with customers or management regarding matters of significance to the organization,
- Participates in Laboratory development of methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for projects, programs, and people,
- Ensures budgets and schedules meet Laboratory requirements,
- Successfully integrates these activities with those of other major organizational segments,
- Regularly interacts with executives and/or major customers from multiple disciplines (both direct and indirect),
- Interactions frequently involve special skills, such as negotiating with customers or management or attempting to influence senior-level leaders regarding matters of significance to the organization,
- Manages activities through first or second level managers.
- Bachelor’s degree and 15 years’ experience in project controls, including 7 years of related management experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience directly related to the occupation. At this level, post graduate course work may be expected.
- Understands and implements Integrated Safety Management (ISM) line management responsibilities for their organization including but not limited to integrating safety into every task, pausing/stopping work, modeling exemplary behavior, fostering open communication, engaging workers in the field, rewarding positive behavior and addressing deficiencies through accountability. Integrated Safety Management (means worker health and safety, environment, security, and quality) is a primary responsibility for all Laboratory employees and managers,
- Responsible for effective execution of project controls programs on an assigned project in accordance with project controls departmental procedures,
- Reviews and approves earned revenue determination data, proposal financial summaries, project financial status reports, and charge for project working capital calculations for assigned projects,
- Plans staffing needs for assigned projects,
- Reviews proposals or contract drafts to ensure they include adequate cost and scope definition and meet project controls requirements. Coordinates development of all data in support of negotiations,
- Prepares, coordinates, and directs project controls presentations to Laboratory and client management, as required,
- Participates in the development and training of assigned personnel and in the implementation of on-the-job and classroom training programs,
- Directs project control activities. Develops, interprets, and executes policy, objectives, and standards applicable to cost and schedule control and analysis activities,
- Prepares the project controls plan for assigned projects,
- Maintains liaison with functional management to coordinate workload and staffing plans, work processes, and procedures,
- Provides counsel, advice, and assistance to management on matters dealing with government legislation, Department of Energy (DOE) contract compliance, and/or Laboratory policies and procedures to ensure compliance,
- Provides guidance and interpretation of policies and programs,
- Ensures proper communication to employees and other organizations on the implementation of policies, procedures, and practices,
- Defines and recommends organizational objectives, develops specific short-term and long-range plans, and monitors progress to assure work objectives are attained and schedules are met,
- Directs preparation of concise studies on complex subjects for management; identifies problem areas, investigates alternative solutions, determines cost implications, and recommends solutions,
- Provides input for budgets; reviews applicable segment of budgets in relation to objectives to ensure cost effectiveness,
- Responsible for all aspects of personnel management, including but not limited to: managing headcount, forecasting and budget(s) associated with group, directing assignments, employee hiring and on-boarding processes, providing continuous performance management and feedback to further develop staff including annual performance discussions, identification of growth opportunities and ensuring proper team recognition and appreciation,
- Fosters a mutually respectful and inclusive work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment,
- Clearly communicates to all workers the identity of those responsible for managing safety and security (line manager and any employees to whom safety and security responsibilities are delegated),
- May lead support efforts to Control Account Manager (CAM) responsible for planning, budgeting, managing and controlling costs and schedule performance (Earned Value Management System (EVMS)) for a project or sub-project and serve as a point of contact for project controls, including account scope, schedule, budget and technical performance. Leads efforts to ensure work packages realistically represent the duration and budget necessary to perform work and perform variance analysis reviews, determine cause and effect of schedule or cost variance and define achievable corrective action plans. May be expected to present project management performance plans, status updates, trends, or issues to federal sponsors,
- Ability to work in a diverse work environment,
- Pre-placement physical examination, which includes drug screening, and inclusion in random drug testing program.
- Ability to fulfill and promote L&A core values.
- Previous experience on DOE sites and programs,
- Experience and demonstrated skill in directing cost engineering functions, including cost estimating, cost control, and cost analysis. Experience and demonstrated skill in directing, planning, and scheduling functions, including schedule development, control, and analysis. Experience and demonstrated skill in establishing criteria for project controls activities,
- Skilled in direction, personnel administration, and training of technical and non-technical personnel,
- Skilled in oral and written communication, with demonstrated ability to present project controls information to management/client,
- Demonstrated skill in identifying, analyzing, and solving problems,
- Knowledge of engineering and construction management customarily acquired over time through specialized instruction or practical experience. Knowledge of current industry and technical developments,
- Extensive experience and expert knowledge in the Project Controls function and sub functions of cost and schedule,
- Extensive and proven expert experience in performing, monitoring, and reviewing planning and scheduling functions, including schedule development, schedule control, and schedule analysis,
- Extensive experience in cost engineering functions, including cost estimating, cost control, financial reporting systems, and cost and variance analysis,
- Experience in managing and leading projects throughout all phases: Initiating, Planning, Executing, Controlling, and Closeout,
- Advanced knowledge of financial reporting systems and controller account codes, and understanding of controller instructions, which impact project controls (including project financial status reports and earned revenue determination data),
- Extensive experience with successful implementation and maintenance of EVMS principles and techniques that complies with EIA-748 in U.S. Government facilities, programs, and/or projects,
- Advanced knowledge of using personal computer operating systems and general computer applications and software, including several basic software applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint,
- Possess expert knowledge and extensive experience using schedule software tools such as Primavera P6. Advanced experience and expert knowledge of using cost processors and EVMS reporting tools such as Cobra, wInsight or Empower. Possess advanced knowledge and technical skills with integration of all project controls system components. Experience serving as a subject matter expert and mentoring others on diverse topics of the above software applications,
- Seven years’ experience leading large organizations, programs, or projects with significant fiscal and programmatic responsibilities,
- Advanced Knowledge and experience of supervision, personnel administration, and training of technical and non-technical personnel. Ability to lead without positional authority,
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interface with all levels of management, staff, customers, and stakeholders,
- Distinguished track record setting technical direction and goals, developing programs, implementing effective business practices and systems, managing budgets and finances, and managing customer and stakeholder relations,
- Demonstrated ability to build and grow both internal and external organizational relationships.
This position will be fully onsite at Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL).
LANL is a multidisciplinary research institution dedicated to enhancing national security by ensuring the safety and reliability of the U.S. nuclear stockpile, developing technologies to reduce threats from weapons of mass destruction, and solving problems related to energy, environment, infrastructure, health, and global security concerns. The health and safety of our employees is our number one priority. During this covid environment, this position will continue to report on site following the New Mexico health guidelines. We have taken all the recommended safety measures to provide a safe work environment.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Successful candidates will be able to perform the essential functions of the job with reasonable accommodation. This job posting reflects management’s assignment of essential functions and the descriptions listed do not restrict management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
As an L&A employee, you will be eligible for a competitive salary as well as a comprehensive benefits package including healthcare (medical and dental), 401K plan, and paid time off. We believe in investing in our employees beyond compensation and as an L&A employee, you will have access to in-house training, career pathing, mentoring, award programs, tuition reimbursement and much more.
L&A is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or status as a qualified individual with a disability or protected veteran.