Fire Protection Engineer/Fire Alarm Engineer
- Job Title
- Fire Protection Engineer/Fire Alarm Engineer
- Job ID
- Los Alamos, NM 87545
- Other Location
Longenecker & Associates (L&A) seeks a motivated Fire Protection Engineer and a Fire Alarm Engineer to contribute to our mission supporting our work at Los Alamos National Lab.
L&A is a woman-owned small business and trusted partner enabling critical missions across the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) complex for more than 30 years. We contribute to DOE’s nuclear security and environmental remediation enterprise by providing the highest-caliber staff and experts.
L&A is unconditionally committed to mission success and the well-being of employees, the nation and the environment. Our team members are passionate about building a healthier environment for generations to come. We are a community that interfaces and effectively communicates with all levels of management and government. If you have a passion for excellence, seek opportunities to engage in mission critical work, and consistently exceed expectations, apply now to join our professional family.
The successful candidate will be responsible for creating detailed designs and perform calculations for fire alarm designs. The successful candidate will perform a vital role as part of a lab-wide effort to maintain facility compliance in fire safety. The successful candidate will be expected to lead, train and mentor junior designers. Regular functions include but are not limited to; Visits to facilities to evaluate existing conditions; identifying and documenting fire alarm deficiencies; providing load calculation designs for new facilities, additions, renovations and repairs. The successful candidate will contribute to lab-wide organization and documentation of existing fire alarm systems record drawings and calculations.
A selected candidate will be responsible to:
- Position uses AutoCAD equipment and software to produce routine layouts, detail drawings, as-builts, sketches and diagrams for fire alarm and safety systems. Details to include wiring and device layout, all views, dimensions and equipment take-offs and/or cut-sheets necessary for submittal approval process by AHJ.
- Works closely with internal customers and AHJ to produce a final product that is accurate and reduces change orders.
- Support construction and commissioning of new facility projects, significant facility modifications, and new or modified programmatic and research activities for fire protection and life safety compliance to requirements and project specs.
- Review, provide feedback and approve contract documents consisting of drawings and specifications which define changes to buildings and infrastructure.
- Expert knowledge of Engineering principles and procedures, design guides, codes, and administrative practices. Including IBC, IFC, NFPA 101, NFPA standards and codes, FM global standards and others as applicable.
- Expert knowledge of DOE, DOE-O-420.1C, DOE-STD-1066, LANL Engineering Standards Manual and others as applicable.
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment as a member of a multi-discipline team of engineers and designers
- Expert knowledge of engineering systems and calculations, applications of engineering methods, and application of technology aided engineering tools to conventional and non-conventional facility and operations-based engineering problems in order to properly evaluate proposed designs and related submittals.
- Perform work in accordance with the Conduct of Engineering (CoE) and applicable Federal, State, and Laboratory codes and standards.
- Represent the Authority Having Jurisdiction agency through interface and coordination with other engineering disciplines and the customer’s representative during design and construction.
- Compare equipment selections for compliance with the project specification and other requirements.
- Expert knowledge of engineering maintenance techniques and construction methodologies in order to ensure proposed designs and commissioning activities meet the design specification and LANL requirements.
- Expert knowledge of project and process engineering practices.
- Mentor junior-level Fire Protection Engineers to perform the requirements described above.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or Engineering Technology with 6 years of relevant experience implementing the requirements described above for the Fire Alarm Engineer
- Bachelor's degree and 12 years of related experience for Fire Protection Engineer
- Ability to work in a diverse work environment
- Pre-placement physical examination, which includes drug screening, and inclusion in random drug testing program.
- Ability to fulfill and promote L&A core values.
- Ability to obtain a security clearance.
- Fire Modeling
- Professional Engineering License
- NICET Fire Alarm Systems certification level II required; NICET III preferred.
- Familiarity with DOE and LANL Engineering Standards as they relate to fire protection is desired but not required for initial consideration.
Los Alamos, NM
This position is expected to be a hybrid between remote and onsite at Los Alamos National Laboratory.
LANL is a multidisciplinary research institution dedicated to enhancing national security by ensuring the safety and reliability of the U.S. nuclear stockpile, developing technologies to reduce threats from weapons of mass destruction, and solving problems related to energy, environment, infrastructure, health, and global security concerns. The health and safety of our employees is our number one priority. During this covid environment, this position will continue to report on site following the New Mexico health guidelines. We have taken all the recommended safety measures to provide a safe work environment.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Successful candidates will be able to perform the essential functions of the job with reasonable accommodation. This job posting reflects management’s assignment of essential functions and the descriptions listed do not restrict management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. As a condition of employment with L&A, you are expected to adhere to all customer site safety protocols and procedures including, but not limited to, all requirements relating to COVID safety such as social distancing, wearing of masks and mandatory vaccination.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
As an L&A employee, you will be eligible for a competitive salary as well as a comprehensive benefits package including healthcare (medical and dental), 401K plan, and paid time off. We believe in investing in our employees beyond compensation and as an L&A employee, you will have access to in-house training, career pathing, mentoring, award programs, tuition reimbursement and much more.
L&A is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or status as a qualified individual with a disability or protected veteran.