Director of Environmental, Safety, Health & Quality Assurance
- Job Title
- Director of Environmental, Safety, Health & Quality Assurance
- Job ID
- Los Alamos, NM 87545
- Other Location
Longenecker & Associates is in search of a Director of Environmental, Safety, Health & Quality Assurance (ESH&QA) to contribute to our mission supporting our work at Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL).
L&A is a woman-owned small business and trusted partner enabling critical missions across the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) complex for more than 30 years. We contribute to DOE’s nuclear security and environmental remediation enterprise by providing the highest-caliber staff and experts.
L&A is unconditionally committed to mission success and the well-being of employees, the nation and the environment. Our team members are passionate about building a healthier environment for generations to come. We are a community that interfaces and effectively communicates with all levels of management and government. If you have a passion for excellence, seek opportunities to engage in mission critical work, and consistently exceed expectations, apply now to join our professional family.
POSITION DESCRIPTIONThe Director of ESH&QA will manage environmental, safety, and health (ES&H); contractor assurance, quality assurance (QA), issues management program, and regulatory compliance activities in response to dynamic mission requirements. In this project-based role, the director will:
- Ensure mission assurance functions satisfy and comply with the requirements of applicable DOE and NNSA directives, policies, and documents.
- Integrate safety into management and work practices at all levels within the organization so that contract requirements are accomplished while protecting the public, the mission, and the environment.
- Incorporate the Integrated Safety Management (ISM) principles, concepts, and practices at all levels within the organization. In addition, the director will provide management, supervision, and staffing to support efficient and effective execution of contract requirements.
- Maintain an effective and efficient contractor assurance system that we will use to measure performance and optimize its use to promote continuous improvement and support planning.
- Optimize use of the contractor assurance system to support evaluation of trending data, annual risk-based self-assessment planning.
- Direct activities to conduct safety and health inspections for buildings that are under the stewardship of this contract in accordance with applicable DOE/NNSA requirements to ensure that operations are conducted in a safe manner and will provide environmental oversight required to meet federal, state, and departmental standards.
- Lead integration of effective safety culture across the entire organization ensuring all operations are conducted safely and in compliance with all federal, state, and departmental standards, regulations, and requirements.
- Implement and maintain ES&H Plan and integrate the ISM concepts and practices into the organization.
- Direct the self-assessment program and sustain the plan execution for the organization.
- Maintain an organizational Issues Management Program that analyzes underlying causal factors for issues, preventing systemic issues and prevention from reoccurrence.
- Ensure the protection of the public, the workforce, and the environment by directing safety and health inspections and environmental oversight.
- Direct activities and personnel to provide data, expertise, and support for the successful delivery of reports and deliverables to ensure high quality services, products, vulnerability assessments, and performance assurance activities.
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 15 years of progressive and successful experience in DOE environment (or equally regulated environment) in ES&H, contractor assurance, quality assurance or related operational role in protective force operations.
- Demonstrated safety and health knowledge and successful experience health are mandatory.
- Demonstrated leadership and supervisory experience and skills commensurate with this position.
- Expertise in industrial/occupational health – including requirements for operations in radioactive environment and fitness for duty considerations.
- Knowledge and familiarity with site security policies and requirements.
- Excellent communications skills and ability to work with variety of stakeholders including peers, GM, NNSA, M&O management, and L&A corporate leadership.
- Demonstrable performance assurance and evaluation.
- Ability to interact and manage with diverse workforce, including union labor.
- Demonstrable ability to fulfill and promote L&As core values.
- Relevant experience in DOE or DoD.
- Applicable professional certification, such as CSP, DOE Contract Officer/STR.
- Advanced degree in relevant field such as safety, management, etc.
LOCATIONLos Alamos, NM
This position requires 95%+ on-site work (minimal telework) and is contingent on ability to gain site access to Los Alamos National Laboratory. LANL is a multidisciplinary research institution dedicated to enhancing national security by ensuring the safety and reliability of the U.S. nuclear stockpile, developing technologies to reduce threats from weapons of mass destruction, and solving problems related to energy, environment, infrastructure, health, and global security concerns. The health and safety of our employees is our number one priority. During this COVID environment, this position will continue to report on site following the New Mexico health guidelines. We have taken all the recommended safety measures to provide a safe work environment.
Successful candidates will be able to perform the essential functions of the job with reasonable accommodation. This job posting reflects management’s assignment of essential functions and the descriptions listed do not restrict management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. As a condition of employment with L&A, you are expected to adhere to all customer site safety protocols and procedures including, but not limited to, all requirements relating to COVID safety such as social distancing, wearing of masks and mandatory vaccination.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
As an L&A employee, you will be eligible for a competitive salary as well as a comprehensive benefits package including healthcare (medical and dental), 401K plan, and paid time off. We believe in investing in our employees beyond compensation and as an L&A employee, you will have access to in-house training, career pathing, mentoring, award programs, tuition reimbursement and much more.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
L&A is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or status as a qualified individual with a disability or protected veteran.