Senior Mechanical Engineer
- Job Title
- Senior Mechanical Engineer
- Job ID
- Los Alamos, NM 87545
- Other Location
Longenecker & Associates (L&A) seeks a motivated Senior Mechanical Engineer to contribute to our mission supporting our work at Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL).
L&A is a woman-owned small business and trusted partner enabling critical missions across the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) complex for more than 30 years. We contribute to DOE’s nuclear security and environmental remediation enterprise by providing the highest-caliber staff and experts.
L&A is unconditionally committed to mission success and the well-being of employees, the nation and the environment. Our team members are passionate about building a healthier environment for generations to come. We are a community that interfaces and effectively communicates with all levels of management and government. If you have a passion for excellence, seek opportunities to engage in mission critical work, and consistently exceed expectations, apply now to join our professional family.
The Senior Mechanical Engineer supports the Project Manager in the oversight of engineering activity (all disciplines) on a project, or designated portions of a project and has technical responsibility for interpreting, organizing, executing, and coordinating these assignments, The main duties include, but are not limited to:
- Plan and direct engineering assignments on the project,
- Establish the detailed project execution plan and the development of the overall project engineering budget and schedule,
- Perform, manage, and has accountability for the work in accordance with relevant client standards (Conduct of Engineering),
- Direct engineering activities in preparation of project proposals, including estimates for engineering staffing, quantities, scope reviews, schedules and other functional groups,
- Originate, review, and/or approve design documents, change orders, material requisitions and specifications for construction or procurement use,
- Supervise the preparation, reviews, and endorses bid analyses and recommendations for procurement of equipment material and services within Engineering's scope of responsibility,
- Coordinate activities among the design groups on the project,
- Review project engineering progress against approved schedules, evaluates changes and takes corrective action when required,
- Make recommendations to Engineering Management of key personnel for project assignments,
- Prepare or direct the preparation of project studies, reports, forecasts, special engineering reports and plant data book,
- Ensure that Technical Risk Assessments are comprehensive and complete, safety practices and procedures are implemented, and engineering design and corresponding design documentation are in compliance with project Quality Assurance plan and procedures,
- Conducts independent work requiring judgment in the application of engineering techniques,
- Communicate complex technical issues and recommend solutions to client, project and functional management as directed and as appropriate,
- Champion the creation of a project work environment, supported by leadership on the project/program, which fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction,
- Track and issue reports on project performance using standard Earned Value Management tools (Control Account Manager).
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering with 10-15 years of experience implementing the requirements described above,
- An equivalent combination of education and experience would be considered.
- Ability to obtain and hold a Q-Level DOE security clearance,
- Understand standard engineering work planning, scheduling, and cost estimating,
- Pass a pre-placement physical examination, which includes drug screening, and inclusion in random drug testing program,
- Ability to fulfill and promote L&A core values.
- Previous experience on DOE sites and programs,
- Active DOE Q clearance,
- Professional Engineering License,
- PMP Certification,
- Knowledge of DOE and client Engineering Standards and Conduct of Engineering principals and procedure.
Los Alamos, NM
This position requires 95%+ on-site work (minimal telework) and is contingent on ability to gain site access to Los Alamos National Laboratory. LANL is a multidisciplinary research institution dedicated to enhancing national security by ensuring the safety and reliability of the U.S. nuclear stockpile, developing technologies to reduce threats from weapons of mass destruction, and solving problems related to energy, environment, infrastructure, health, and global security concerns. The health and safety of our employees is our number one priority. During this COVID environment, this position will continue to report on site following the New Mexico health guidelines. We have taken all the recommended safety measures to provide a safe work environment.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Successful candidates will be able to perform the essential functions of the job with reasonable accommodation. This job posting reflects management’s assignment of essential functions and the descriptions listed do not restrict management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. As a condition of employment with L&A, you are expected to adhere to all customer site safety protocols and procedures including, but not limited to, all requirements relating to COVID safety such as social distancing, wearing of masks and mandatory vaccination.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
As an L&A employee, you will be eligible for a competitive salary as well as a comprehensive benefits package including healthcare (medical and dental), 401K plan, and paid time off. We believe in investing in our employees beyond compensation and as an L&A employee, you will have access to in-house training, career pathing, mentoring, award programs, tuition reimbursement and much more.
L&A is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or status as a qualified individual with a disability or protected veteran.