Electrical Engineer 2
- Job Title
- Electrical Engineer 2
- Job ID
- Los Alamos, NM 87545
- Other Location
Longenecker & Associates (L&A) seeks a motivated Electrical Engineer 2 to contribute to our mission supporting our work at Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL).
L&A is a woman-owned small business and trusted partner enabling critical missions across the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) complex for more than 30 years. We contribute to DOE’s nuclear security and environmental remediation enterprise by providing the highest-caliber staff and experts.
L&A is unconditionally committed to mission success and the well-being of employees, the nation and the environment. Our team members are passionate about building a healthier environment for generations to come. We are a community that interfaces and effectively communicates with all levels of management and government. If you have a passion for excellence, seek opportunities to engage in mission critical work, and consistently exceed expectations, apply now to join our professional family.
The Electrical Engineer 2 Is responsible for assigned activities within an engineering discipline in support of facility design, operation and maintenance. The main duties include, but are not limited to:
- Applies broad and diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices in the preparation of complex engineering analyses. Performs all aspects of work in engineering operations within discipline,
- Performs conventional structural design and analysis. Provides system integration within and across disciplines,
- Provides construction and project support,
- May provide direction to technicians,
- Electrical engineering responsible for preparing drawing, specifications, and calculations including the review of shop drawings,
- Attends project meetings with team members and clients,
- Electrical design of building power systems, 480V and lower,
- Installation of equipment which includes point to point wiring diagrams, one line diagrams, arc flash studies, grounding, and related,
- Independently evaluates, selects and applies standard techniques, procedures and criteria to perform a task or sequence of tasks for conventional projects with few complex features,
- Collaboratively uses judgment to determine adaptations in methods for non-routine aspects of assignments,
- Design support for power and some instrumentation and control designs. Sample work could include: conduit routing and loading, and system capacity requirements in support of new equipment installations,
- Candidate must have understanding of the following codes and software:
- National Electric Code 2017
- Desired: NETA ATS and IEEE 141
- Works on multiple projects of moderate size or portions of major projects,
- Plans and coordinates detailed aspects of the engineering work,
- Prepares scopes, budgets and schedules,
- Receives guidance when necessary on unconventional and/or complex problems, direction on modified techniques and new approaches on assignments with conflicting criteria,
- Assigns tasks to and coordinates work with engineers and/ or administrative staff,
- Able to work independently and as part of a team, utilizes engineering technology to accomplish work. Continuously improves work processes to meet customer needs.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in Electrical Engineering from an ABET institution,
- Minimum four to twelve years of experience,
- PE License - desirable,
- Capability with MS Office Suite.
- Ability to obtain and hold a Q-Level DOE security clearance,
- Solid understanding of electrical engineering codes and standards,
- General knowledge of principles and practices of related fields and ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams,
- Experienced in applying National Electrical Code (Low Voltage required),
- Experienced in electrical calculation software,
- Possesses effective oral and written communication skills,
- Ability to manage other electrical engineers and designers on concurrent projects,
- Ability to fulfill and promote L&A core values.
- Previous experience on DOE sites and programs.
Los Alamos, NM
This position requires 95%+ on-site work (minimal telework) and is contingent on ability to gain site access to Los Alamos National Laboratory. LANL is a multidisciplinary research institution dedicated to enhancing national security by ensuring the safety and reliability of the U.S. nuclear stockpile, developing technologies to reduce threats from weapons of mass destruction, and solving problems related to energy, environment, infrastructure, health, and global security concerns. The health and safety of our employees is our number one priority. During this COVID environment, this position will continue to report on site following the New Mexico health guidelines. We have taken all the recommended safety measures to provide a safe work environment.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Successful candidates will be able to perform the essential functions of the job with reasonable accommodation. This job posting reflects management’s assignment of essential functions and the descriptions listed do not restrict management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. As a condition of employment with L&A, you are expected to adhere to all customer site safety protocols and procedures including, but not limited to, all requirements relating to COVID safety such as social distancing, wearing of masks and mandatory vaccination.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
As an L&A employee, you will be eligible for a competitive salary as well as a comprehensive benefits package including healthcare (medical and dental), 401K plan, and paid time off. We believe in investing in our employees beyond compensation and as an L&A employee, you will have access to in-house training, career pathing, mentoring, award programs, tuition reimbursement and much more.
L&A is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or status as a qualified individual with a disability or protected veteran.